Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I'M A FREE MAN!

As of today, I have the balance of the summer in which to amuse myself within 950 square feet of a vintage 1920's era Chicago apartment. No, The Roomie and I did not "break-up", in fact, since she graduated last month (I'm a very proud Papa/Roomie!) we've been getting along quite well.

The reason I will have the place to myself this summer is because The Roomie is jetting her way down to South America to spend the summer (or more accurately, the winter) Indiana Jones-ing her way through a country known for it's prodigious cocoa leaf crop.

The Bad-Ass Roomie will be excavating one of the oldest western civilizations with a paint brush and some dental tools. Seems tedious to me but she's super psyched about it, and although the details of the dig elude me (I try to understand Roomie, really I do, but the finer points of combing through ancient civilizations tend to sail right over my head) it still seems pretty fucking cool.

She actually did something similar last summer, but at a different site and for a much shorter period of time. This time a major museum is funding her expedition and she's working elbow to elbow with a dozen or so notable experts in her field of study. Like I said, she's Bad Ass.

Where does this leave me? Well, I have been given the task of looking after her 2 cats, her 16 plants and her car. Although I'm not looking forward to scooping cat shit, I am looking forward to the possibility of bringing a boy home and being as loud as my think neighbors will tolerate, to say nothing of the certainty of leaving my dirty clothes on the floor (already did that - my work clothes are strewn all over the floor), playing my music louder than she can tolerate and allowing the dishes to pile up.

Of coarse, this also means I will have to clean the bathroom (I may bitch about taking out the trash but she almost always cleaned the shower/toilet, etc and with little or no provocation) and I won't have someone to accompany me to Target or laugh at the stupid shit I say/do.

This new-found freedom is exciting, although I know I'll miss her and be lonely from time to time. Last March she left for week and that seemed like a long time. Of course, now that summer's here and since this apartment lacks certain modern amenities like A/C, I likely will not be spending much time indoors.

Still, the fact that I can theoretically have sex on the on the kitchen table or her bed (just kidding Roomie!) or the couch or the floor or the backseat of her car (I'm only sorta kidding about that - seriously, that huge backseat is just asking for it) or the chair I'm sitting in is a nice option to have. Oh, and I don't have to share the remote.

It should be a good summer.

9 comments:

S.B. said...

Enjoy your freedom man!

Travis said...

Whoop Whoop! My roommate is going on vacation for a week and I thought I was blessed lol!!!

Chicago's Bi Guy said...

Damn sounds like fun Justin... When can I come over?

jay said...

Oh wow. My roommate is leaving next Friday for good and you've given me a ton of ideas...THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Freedom, schmeedom! I just ate some of the best chicken soup ever after watching our cook casually chop off its feet earlier today. viva el Peru!

-the roomie

Anonymous said...

"it" being the chicken....

Anonymous said...

p'shaw! And like you ever shared the remote!

okay, that's the last comment...

-roomie

JUSTIN said...

I hope you enjoyed your feet less Chicken as much as I enjoyed the last stick of Trader Joe's cheddar, not to mention the balance of the Modelo beer in the fridge...

I'm almost done constructing the bunk beds in your room that will certainly be occupied by German backpackers just in time for Blues Fest this weekend.

Cheers Roomie!

MEETING NEIL IS EASY said...

Here kitty, kitty, kitty... Who wants a lion-cut?