Thursday, January 17, 2008

THIS IS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS

On a semi-weekly basis I am the unfortunate recipient of my bosses' politically-charged e-mail forwards. Rather than preface this message with my thoughts, I would ask you to read the below message...

From: Xxxxx Xxxxx [mailto:REDACTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:14 AM
To: REDACTED
Subject: FW: Who is Barack Obama????

[This is very interesting - please take a few moments and read it. Who is Barack Obama? Something that should be considered when you make your choice.]

If you do not ever forward anything else, please forward this to all your contacts...it is very scary to think of what could lie ahead for us here in our own United States...better heed this and pray about it and share it.

We checked this out on "snopes.com". It is factual. Check for yourself.

Who is Barack Obama? Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white Atheist from
Wichita, Kansas.

Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii. When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia. When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocated to Indonesia. Obama attended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta. He also spent two years in a Catholic school. Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, "He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school." Obama's political handlers are at tempting to make it appear that he is not a radical. Obama's introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education.

Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta. Wahabism is the RADICAL ISLAMIC teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world. Since it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major public office in the United States, Barack Hussein Obama has joined the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background. ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran.

Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor will he show any reverence for our flag. While others place their hands over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches.

Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential candidacy.

The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the President of the United States, one of their own!!!!

Please forward to everyone you know. Would you want this man leading our country?...... NOT ME!!!


PAUSE

OK - regardless of your political persuasion, and regardless of the dubious facts and the nature and their presentation, is this not COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FUCKING UNPROFESSIONAL?

Now, I work for a small, privately owned firm, one of the partners is the man who sent this message. Obviously, he feels totally warranted in projecting his (IMO) extreme political point of views, of which I am at odds with.

Then again, this man signs my checks, and this is a country where free speech (no matter how full of shit) is a constitutional right.

That being said, even my generous tolerance is becoming dangerously depleted. I feel like I should say something, but, fuck, he pays me!

That alone fucks with my conscious, but on a practical level I feel I should just ignore it and do my job (although that makes me feel like a wimpy bitch).

So...any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? A few friends of mine think I should "report" him, but really, to whom would I? Last time I checked, there are no laws against being an ASSHOLE.

Am I right?

PS - Roomie posed an important question to me. What if this man (or whoever wrote this shit) switched out the word "Muslim" for "Jew" or "Woman"? Something to chew on...

17 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

First off, why is it that people write such crap. Who does it really help. Second, I am stunned your boss forwarded that to people. I would have hit the trash/spam button pretty quickly.

Urrgh, reading stuff like that gets me mad at the political process. More importantly, angry at those who abuse it.

Also, you can't help but laugh at the authors generalization that because some radical, deprived as a child, coward of a leader who just happens to distort Islam as their way to convince followers to do their bidding, somehow represents that the entire muslim world is for destroying the USA. What and idiot.

DB said...

The same email circulated through my parents email boxes, but we're all big Obama supporters. I'm not sure if you should respond. Depends on the air in the office. REgardless, it's totally bullshit AND unprofessional.

Anonymous said...

what a douche. it is unprofessional and you are right. but reporting him? i wouldnt if i wanted to keep my job. not to mention nobody regulates idiots. that would be a huge agency if it existed.

Pete said...

Hmmm. Looks like there's an all-out war against anyone who will dare to stand between a Clinton and elected office.

IMHO Obama's CV is a little thin, but that's no reason to smear him. And this sort of crap should stay off the work floor.

I think there are legitimate questions to be asked about Obama's church though. Looks a little dodgy to me.

JUSTIN said...

Not to pile pile on - but guess who doesn't have MLK Day off? Me! Perhaps I'll call in sick...

Bruce said...

Because it is a small, privately heald company, I think you just have to suck it up and know what an ass this guy is and let it go at that. It sucks but the job is paying your bills.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Wow, your boss takes being an asshole to a whole new level. But you are right, there is no law against being an asshole.. I can't believe he actually emailed people at work that. If that was an organisation, he could have got the boot for that.

I do love Jeremy's comment. I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Its just somehow I can't picture you doing that (as hard as I try).. but it is a masterful idea.

The New Me said...

Justin says: "...no laws against being an ASSHOLE."

Sadly there are not. And though it would be very different if he had used the word Jew or Woman, and in a few states Fag, the fact remains that he did not.

Yes, I totally agree with you that this guy is in serious need of a major ass-whoopin'.

However, since I'm fairly certain you've grown accustomed to eating and living indoors you may have to forgo that option.

There is the option that you could send out an email of your own to satisfy your conscience, and thereby express your own views, but I'd expect quite the retaliatory response to such a gutsy move if I were you.

Good Luck in that job hunt you mentioned a while back.

BTW I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

This is a time of war, like it or not and many, many people are dying. Bush has made numerous military decisions and passed laws that make most of our skin crawl. The wealthy love him because he serves the upper class and protects their money and the interest of big business (hence, your boss.) His comments make sense during a time of war in a post-9/11 atmosphere, even though he is expressing them in an unprofessional and careless manner. It is no different than if a Japanese man was running for the office of President of the United States right after Pearl Harbor in the middle of World War II. You may find his position to be ignorant, but it is founded in legitimate logic and nestled in the fear of terrorism.

Now my advice on how to handle the office issue is as follows:

If it were me, I would respond to his e-mail stating:

Dear Mr. Boss (whatever he goes by),

As much as I appreciate and enjoy your keen insight into domestic and foreign affairs, I would appreciate it if you maintained a professional repore and refrained from sending and/or forwarding me messages of this type at the office. I understand that in America we are free citizens with the right to voice our opposition, however, from 9 to 5 employees, such as myself and my colleagues, lose some of those freedoms at the workplace due to the hierarchal structure of management. However, this does not give you the right to subject your personal and political views on your subordinates and/or colleagues. If you find my response to your e-mail puzzling or offensive, please note, that is how I found yours.

Thank you for your time and understanding in this matter and if you wish to speak with me directly concerning this issue I will make myself available to discuss this matter with you after work hours.


I realize it is difficult to take a stand for your beliefs when it infringes on your "bread and butter," but his actions will continue if he believes it is acceptable. It does not matter that he is your boss it only matters that it is making you uncomfortable in the workplace and that is a violation of employment law.

Good luck!

Ryan

The [Cherry] Ride said...

You need to get out of there...

nickabouttown said...

Even though I am not an Obama supporter, that is pretty damn ridiculous.

Thank god my boss doesn't send around Edwards propaganda, but then again, she's an old queen of the Dem party here in Indy..so, I could screw her over. :)

You're stuck though. It would be interesting though if there is something in your handbook about politics on the job, but you'd be retaliated against no matter what.

J.R. said...

WAIT! Obama is a radical muslim and doesn't revere the US flag!!!!!!????!1!??11??

Thanks for the tip, Justin! You do good work here.

Nothing Golden Stays

B said...

He sent THAT in an office email? geez!

dollar said...

Get out fast. Run, don't walk, run!

Anonymous said...

You have mentioned that some of the guys in sales are as disgusted by this type of thing as you are. Chances are that there are other people at work are also offended by the boss's emails. Maybe you could consult with your coworkers. In such as small office, if even five people are regularly offended, that is enough to do something about it. This kind of shit makes me so angry that I admire your restraint. I would have easily gotten myself fired by now.

Anyways, perhaps you could post an anonymous and polite flier somewhere in the office stating that there is a common feeling among employees that communications expressing beliefs that are unrelated to business are inappropriate in the workplace, particularly those that espouse racial, religious, and political beliefs. State that certain emails have contained sentiments that are on the border of violating state Hostile Environment in the Workplace discrimination law (because this is true). Point out that if the wording in certain emails was changed from "Muslim" to "woman," "homosexual," or "Jew," these communications would, in fact, be violating the law. State that this kind of communication makes employees uncomfortable and threatened in the workplace. State that if the companies clients were aware of this type of sentiment in the office that it would reflect negatively on business (or maybe leave that part out because it can be viewed as a threat). Demand an immediate stop to such communications in the workplace.

Cite specific instances from the emails (there have been many of them similar to this one that you have showed me over the last year).

Or send an anonymous email to all in the office, stating the above.

I completely understand your reasons for not wanting to be involved. I also think it is really important that, within reason, you politely and carefully find a way to inform your boss that this is inappropriate, unprofessional, and is viewed by many to be discriminatory.

bah. just get the hell outta there, my friend.

Anonymous said...

i have seen this email on a couple of blogs on myspace. it is pretty scary. it usually starts with...why america won't change, which was a part i really didn't get, because this insular, ignorance is one reason why the US is in the huge problem they are in now. Complete ignorance and aggression of cultures which do not conform to their way of life, rather than understanding and diplomacy.

In the UK there are laws against inciting racial hatred, which this email appears to do. Whether it is breaking the law or not, it is completely inappropriate and I would suggest you ask him not to send further emails of this ilk.

K said...

He's lucky that I don't work there.....leave the rest to the imagination.

The End