Saturday, June 2, 2007

IT'S ALL BUT OVER FOR THE CUBS

Well, it's unofficially official, the 2007 Chicago Cubs season is over. Friday afternoon I sat at my desk in horror as the the SI.com box score reloaded every 90 seconds. At first glance I saw we were losing to the Braves 4-1 in 4th inning. Then 15-20 minutes later, the score was 5-1, then 7-1, and then 8-1. Fuck! I closed the web page in disgust and briefly considered changing my desktop background to something other than than picture of Wrigley Field, but I took a deep breath and decided against it. But after watching the highlight (perhaps low-lights is a more apt phrase) that picture is coming down on Monday morning.

It's bad enough we lost 11 of our last 15 games, not to mention we're at 22-30 overall for the season, and even worse that Carlos Zambrano "celebrated" his 26th birthday by giving up 7 fucking runs in the 5th inning. It's gets worse. After finally getting out of the inning the man who predicted he would win the Cy Young award walks into the dugout and starts yelling at this catcher Michael Barrett, who then caught the business end of Zambrano's fist...



Being a Cubs fan involves putting up with a lot of bullshit. The stupid curses, the 99-year World Series dry spell, the bathrooms at Wrigley, etc., but now we have to put up with this? Are you serious? Barrett is not without blame here. He played like shit and although he didn't start the fight, he did follow Zambrano into the clubhouse were they fought yet again. But I'll reserve the majority of my bitterness for "Big Z". You're an asshole and I hope to God we don't re-sign you. Let someone else pay you $15 million a year to have a 5.25 ERA.

It's time to but that Cleveland Indians hat I've had my eye on...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Managing the Cubs," said Lou Pinella. "Heh."

Well dude, I feel your pain somewhat. no fan should have to wait 99 yrs for their team to reach the ultimate glory.

You are a die hard fan... One to be admired because it ain't easy being a Cubs fan.

S.B. said...

Well, I sorta do feel bad for you. I know how it is to route for a losing team, but come on, do they really need to fight in the dugout? And at least help out the Mets by beating the Braves will ya?!?!?

But perhaps their losing will help me get a ticket to a Cubs game I am trying to go to when I am in Chicago for work in July. So far, the game is sold out :( Not bad for a losing team though.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I feel bad for you. Really, I do.

[...]