Friday, August 15, 2008

I GOT UPSOLD

A few days ago my internet connection disappeared. In vain, I tried that whole "unplug the modem and wait 30 seconds" bit, but to no avail. Staring at the dark "online" indicator light on the modem, I called Comcast, who determined that I needed someone to come out and check my connection. Grrrrrrh.

Then and hour or so later the little "online" indicator light magically sprung to life, and I took my head out of the oven. Whew! That was close. Anyways, I called Comcast back to cancel the service call. At the end of the call the nice lady on the phone said:

NICE LADY ON THE PHONE: "Mr. Justin, I see that you only have the basic cable TV package. Would you be interested in upgrading your service"?
ME: "Actually, I was thinking of canceling the TV service altogether seeing as I never watch it".
NICE LADY ON THE PHONE: "Well, you know if you cancel your TV service, the cost of your internet service with increase by $12 and you'll lose some speed on the connection".

She had me by the balls. How bullshit is that deal? Either I pay more money for slower internet or I pay more money to upgrade to digital cable. But then I thought about it for a second. The Cubs are kicking serious fucking ass, and most likely will make the playoffs. Seeing as there are almost never games on WGN anymore, I gave in.

But it's not that bad. I'm only paying $20 more a month, and instead of getting 25 useless channels (MSNBC anyone?) I now have command of 150+ glorious channels, most of which I am sure will be broadcasting complete and utter shit.

But then again...I have the Cubs game on in the other room, and this makes me happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, msnbc worthless?! as a political junkie, you shoud check it out more often. Chuck Todd's First Read presented on Morning Joe, David Grefory's Race for the White House, Chris Matthews, Keith Olberman. As a young, gay, informed junkie om the northside, this is where i turn to hear a bit of sarcasm but a lot of truth. you shoud give it a shout....

Cockbag LLC said...

Cubs fan? This Cards fan forgives you and yes I know where you are in the standings.

dan said...

hey justin, at least with a roomie around it will keep you getting out of the place once in a while and not sitting in front of all them channels too much. ha
I plan to remain cable-less when I get back to okc, but I will break down and get a cell phone I've decided. later.