Wednesday, November 7, 2007

MIXING BUSINESS WITH BUSINESS

Just about an hour ago I went to use the restroom at work. I saddled up to the empty urinal, standing next to a man to my right, also at a urinal. After about 10 seconds this man says "Well, did Sally make the call?" which prompted me to wonder who Sally was, what call was she supposed to have made...and more importantly, why is this stranger talking to me while I'm taking a piss?

For a moment I was perplexed until I heard the tell tale "Charlie Brown Teacher" sound emanating from his right ear. Yes, he was talking to a business associate through his Bluetooth earpiece while he was pissing. If that wasn't classy enough he also did not flush, nor did he wash his hands. I am guessing he didn't want the person on the other end to know where he was or what he was doing.

Last week I was once again using the restroom at work. I noticed one of the stalls were occupied, went to use another one and heard a man talking, rather loudly about some sort of a report. This guy however, must not have been as concerned about the person on the other line knowing what he was doing because he did flush the toilet, although he did not wash hands - after he has just "dropped the kids off at the pool". Ewww.

Although two instances of "mixing business with business" does not a trend make, it's disturbing nonetheless. I always get annoyed when people are roaming the aisles of Target or the grocery store while yammering away on their earpiece, but I always thought a restroom was a bastion of relative quiet. Perhaps those days are coming to an end. At least in my office building, it seems to have. We are doomed. DOOMED!

7 comments:

S.B. said...

Stuff like that happens ALL the time in my office. I think it is so rude to talk and piss at the same time, espcially when it work stuff.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

The people on the other end can tell when someone is in the John. At least I always can, right?

Steven said...

That's when YOU flush the urinal or the toilet a few times to "out" the location of where the guy is calling from while he's on the bluetooth. I always hated casual conversation at the urinal at the office. The "not washing hands" part always reminds me of The Far Side comic I once saw that showed a guy exiting the men's room and a sign and lights flash above the door that says, "DIDN'T WASH HANDS!"

nickabouttown said...

Ugh, yes, I think this is a trend. I have witnessed it a lot, and I think it really comes from the bluetooth headsets, which I really kinda hate. There is just something weird about [what looks like] someone talking to themselves as they walk down the sidewalk.

I really don't like being talked to at the urinal either. :-)

Cooper said...

Eww, that is gross. I think you are right, this trend is a sign the end of the world.

Anonymous said...

sidled up to the urinal

S said...

I feel the need to slather myself all over with Purell.