Monday, July 16, 2007

OF MONTREAL...WFT WAS THAT?

Rather than struggle to describe the spectacle that was Of Montreal's set I'm going to defer to the experts, in this case, Dan Morgridge from Gaper's Block:

If you were there, then you know my words can't even possibly begin to describe the spectacle that appeared on stage between 7 and 8 pm. They called themselves Of Montreal, but all I could see were glittery sex-toy monsters ready to destroy Tokyo, skinny eyelinered linebackers wearing bustiers that crawled across the floor, a pink winged-angel grinding his guitar into every inch of the speakers, and Nina Twin playing some sort of Goldfinger sex goddess who rubbed herself while dispensing a red substance to a large, moustached creature (which had previously had five balloon soldiers heads, all popped by a golden Darth Vader). What? Exactly. While my jaw was agape, they apparently played some music too. And just when you thought it was over, Kevin came back out in a g-string and led the band through a quick cover of The Kinks' "All Day And All of the Night".

That's a nearly perfect description of what I saw. What Dan omitted was a description of what lead singer Kevin Barnes outfit consisted of. He started the set wearing this, and slowly removed his shirt and his pants to reveal fishnet stockings, tiny black leather trunks, a black leather busiter and a feature boa. At one point he put on gold football soldier pads. Two other people got on stage dressed in fuck-if-know-what also with gold football pads who then launched gold footballs into the crowd. This was easily the weirdest music performance I have ever seen and although it was hugely entertaining it tended to overshadow the music. It was a performance art piece than anything else, but, whoa, it was insane. If you click here you'll have an idea of what this looked like. This guy was just creepy. Good thing the only thing in my bloodstream at the time was beer; had I been stoned my head would have exploded.

PS - Nothing more to read...(this problem is really annoying me, but I'm too tired to deal with it).

No comments: