Friday, April 20, 2007

GIT-R-DONE

I saw the above phrase on the side of a 18-wheeler on my way to work this morning, and, well, I did indeed "Git-R-Done" in regards to coming out to my brother last night.

We were stuck in traffic and talking about random things when I said, "there's something I wanted to tell you, I'm gay". His response could not have been more positive. Like my Mom he said had his suspicions and also like my Mom he told me that as long as I'm happy that's the only thing that matters. Then he laughed and punched my arm. It was one of those little moments that I think I'll always remember.

Over pints of pale ale he asked me about the guys I've dated and whatnot. For some reason I thought it would be more awkward to divulge the aspects of my dating history but in reality it was anything but. We also discussed the reason why I finally decided to come out and I explained that a lot of it has to do with my Grandmother's death and seeing my extended family last weekend. There's obviously no right or wrong answer to such a question, but to make a long story short it really hit me how much love I have for my family. Friends come and go but my family is my rock and right now I feel as close to them as I ever have. It feels good.

The last domino to fall is my father. I plan on telling him soon, perhaps even this weekend but I'm not sure if I'll get the chance to see him. Regardless, I have no fear about coming out to him now.

In other news, the weather has finally decided to stop fucking around. I was running late to work this morning and when I called to talk to the office manager she told me about how bright it is outside. She was right. The weather is mirroring my mood right now, which is bright and sunny. Tonight, I'm going out with friends, tomorrow I'm playing my first whiffle ball game of the season with my friends in the burbs, Sunday I'm shooting 9 holes of golf with my brother and his friends, then seeing what should be a great concert on Sunday night.

Life is good.

PS - As I was finishing typing this up I got a text message from my brother's girlfriend: "mighty proud of you J, congrats".

One last thing, Hamilton suggested I off the comment moderation function, and in the spirit of "GITTIN-R-DONE", I followed suit. I really appreciate all the comments and e-mails. Thanks everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud and happy about your positive reception with your family so far. It gives me hope that one day I can do it without fear of rejection.

Thanks for disabling the moderation.

--ViJay

Will said...

Congrats. At last it is done. I'm sure things will go just as well with your dad.