Wednesday, December 26, 2007

BACK TO SCHOOL?

It's no small secret that I am unhappy with my current employment situation. My job is tedious, unfulfilling and there is no room for advancement. It's true that the money isn't bad, in fact it's rather good. That being said, it's doesn't change the fact that I need to find a new line of work. After considering trying to find a similar and slightly less oppressive occupation, I have concluded that I would very likely find myself in a similar position in another 2-3 years.

So, like many others in their late 20's/early 30's, I am considering going back to school to obtain another degree, one that hopefully will allow me to do something that I will enjoy, rather than dragging my ass to the office Monday-Friday/9-5. Although I have previously said that my dream job is to operate a wrecking ball (seriously, how fucking satisfying would it be to bust shit up all day?) I am seriously thinking about getting a degree in Interior Design.

Now, you might be thinking "wow - that's gayer than Liberace dipped in glitter", and I suppose it is kind of a "gay" job, or whatever. But I remember that one of my favorite classes in college was Production Design (i.e. designing sets and such) and I interned with the Art Department on a small independent film. Despite the long hours, I enjoyed it. And I always wanted to study some form of architecture (although my Math skills are a joke) so I think this might just be a good match.

Since there was nothing much to do at work today (and since I also felt like doing anything but work, like, I dunno, dental work without anesthesia) I researched schools in Chicago and found 3 that are apparently held in high regard within the industry. None of them are cheap, as they all seem to charge around $425/per credit hour (ouch!) but they seem very well positioned for working professionals such as my self, with night/weekend classes and such.

Two schools in particular seem to specialize in retail/industrial/institutional Interior Design, which is what interests me the most (I have zero inclination to help people choose curtains or new upholstery for their couch). So I wanted to see if anyone out there works in this field, and if so, could give me any advice/pointers/suggestions. Anyone out there know anything about Auto CAD? Also, if anyone has changed careers recently I'd be interested to hear of your experience(s). Thanks in advance.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I believe in being happy, don’t overlook the cost of school and loss of income if you have to quit your current job. If something goes wrong you don’t want to be financially devastated, retraining on nights and weekends sounds like a good idea. You may not need a whole degree to get a design job. You can take Auto CAD classes at a community college on the cheap, and of course there are books out there you can work through as a self study.

What I always say when changing careers is to try and find something that requires certification and is in demand. Otherwise you might spend $50,000 and not find a job. Go out and find someone who is doing what you want to do and get their advice.

Btw, you can improve your math skills more than you think. It really is all pattern recognition. I went back to school part time and got a math degree. Here is the key, start slow with the basics. I skipped college algebra and calculus 1, and went straight into calculus 2. That was a huge mistake on my part. I had algebra way back in high school, but never at the college level and I regret it. Algebra is the foundation, so take it first then Trig, then start your Calculus sequence. Then go become an architect, you won’t regret it.

dan said...

oh yeah! do it!!!
sounds awesome.

Closeted said...

That sounds pretty cool, but DAMN that's a little hefty in the pocket change...haha

Anonymous said...

I thought I could add my perspective and let you know what it looks like from the other side of the fence.

I am an young architect in Philly. I have a bachelor's degree in Architecture and a minor in Art History. After beginning in school for 5 years you are going to accumulate a certain amount of debt. I went to a great school and sort of paid for it. I footed the entire bill for my education with help from federal loans and scholarships.

Not to deter you but my loan payment a month is alot and I paid all the interest on my loans while in school, so not to accumulate more. To give you an idea my rent is 1100 a month and my loans are almost 650. But on the positive side, I have a great job with an Architecture Firm in Philly and make enough money to pay for these costs and still save a considerable amount every 2 weeks.

So if you are thinking about starting a career in Interior design, I say go for it. I love my job and the rewarding work I get to do.

If you are looking for a local perspective in Chi-town. Check out HOK Architects. They have an interior design dept. and are one of the leading firms in the country. They also offer a student internship program. Maybe just go visit, they will be more than happy to show you around. Every firm is always looking for the next big talent, so they will give you a few minutes to show you around.

Hope everything works out :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I have a nice little copy of AutoCad 2008 if you want to play around with it and see a little of how it works. Bet there isn't a single school to have that update running yet. Thank you Lima! Well aren't I a rooty-poo-pooter?

-roomie

B said...

If you can figure a way to do it financially, go for it...you'll be a happier person in the long run.

Matt in Argyle said...

I made a choice (perhaps a bit rushed but whatever) about two years ago when I first graduated. I figured I could go into business or law quite easily, and be very successful at it. But I also realized I wouldn't be as happy doing it, which is why I chose my current path as a teacher. Who knows, in several years I'm probably going to want a change too.

Any job that you love is one worth going after, any job you do just for a pay check isn't.

Pete said...

You could consider doing this in Europe - it's considerably cheaper, it's probably an experience and apparently the courses are good.

I also decided to quit my job to get a master's degree - it's been tough but no regrets so far. Watching your finances deteriorate sucks though.

WD in KC said...

From the perspective of a retiree, I recommend going for what you love. You won't regret it. Life's shorter than you think.

Good advice from your commenters above. Check out all the options before jumping in. You're fortunate that you're young enough to make this change.

Steven said...

Tony at "Life's Colorful Brushstrokes" just got his degree and is in interior design. You may want to check his blog and maybe drop him a line. http://lifescolorfulbrushstrokes.wordpress.com/

J.R. said...

You already know all of the reasons why you should do it, J-dogg.

Nothing Golden Stays