Saturday, November 10, 2007

DOUBLE RAFFLE LOVE

If I ever won a raffle, I don't remember having done so.

I've been to Vegas a few times, and with the exception of the trip I took with some buddies after I graduated from college, when both Bally's and Harrah's were especially kind to me, I have really never won anything.

There was one other instance, a few years back, where I turned $4 into $96 at Arlington Park, but that involved a boxing the shit out of a trifecta.

That being said, last night I was at a bar with a friend, and this bar was raising money to help a couple complete the expensive process of adoption. A guy went around soliciting raffle tickets, and I cannot remember what they cost, but hard currency was exchanged, and I found myself clutching several tickets.

I paid scant attention to the actual raffle, and as I told my friend, I never win shit like this. We didn't even know what was being raffled off!

That being said I made a mental note of the last 3 digits of the various tickets within my possession. While at the bar I thought I heard one of my numbers called, and I dashed back towards the table to make sure.

Sure enough, I held the winning ticket...to a football helmet shaped BBQ grill. I was tasked with moving this huge box through a crowd of people alternately cheering and jeering me (bitch I got #362 yo!). However I settled back into the table friend and I sat at.

Although said grill currently sits in a pile of cardboard and plastic on the floor of my front room, fully assembled it would look like this:

About an hour later, another number that seemed familiar was called. I checked my tickets and...I won again! This time the prize was the Matrix box set. It contains 10 DVD's (35 hours of Neo!) and looks like this:

Honestly, since I have no where to put the grill (city fire regulations prevent me from using it on my wooden back porch), and since I am not the hugest fan of the Matrix, I am not sure what to do with either of these things.

Sell them on eBay? Re-gift? Donate them to some charity in need of a football shaped helmet grill and a thorough dose of Keanu Reeves? I don't know but I suppose this is a good problem to have...

8 comments:

J.R. said...

You're a real winner.

Nothing Golden Stays

Steven said...

Sounds like you have some nice "white elephant" gifts for said party. And I'm sure the grill would be the hottest item sought after!

Here's to Wednesday and Saturday's Lotto!

Jeff said...

lucky bastard! (this comment by no means is in reference to your parents marital status at the time of your birth) :-)

S.B. said...

I say sell it on ebay...but you have to admit a football shaped bbq grill is pretty cool though.

And you HAVE to rub my lotto tickets when you come to NY you lucky bastard.

Chicago's Bi Guy said...

You live in Chicago... Just throw it in the alley and someone will pick it up later (you know it's the truth)... Sounds like you had lots of fun.

nickabouttown said...

My vote is white elephant. I can only imagine someone's face when they go for the big box and find a tacky grill.

As for The Matrix, keep the first movie and all extras for it, and use the rest of them for skeet shooting.

MEETING NEIL IS EASY said...

Build said football helmet-shaped grill. Wheel it out to the middle of any number of pseudo-upper middle class suburbs. Fill it up with as much dynamite as you can find. Light dynamite, plug ears, and hide behind the nearest bush or tree. Avoid and protect yourself from any flying debris. Call the authorities and enjoy the ensuing chaos from afar. Afterwards, buy yourself a beer and pat yourself on the back. Watch some Matrix. Masturbate. Go to sleep.

Just a suggestion.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Wow. Good on you.

The baseball grill looks kinda kool. Keep it if you are gonna use them, sell them, if your not.