Tuesday, January 30, 2007

STUMBLING OUT OF THE CLOSET

At this point I'm out to all of my friends. Currently the "final frontier" is coming out to my family, which I'm confident will go well once I get the courage to tell them. But I think I came out to my brother and his a girlfriend last night. I'll explain. I went to meet a buddy at a bar to go and shoot some pool (although that never happened...couldn't someone have told me it was fucking league night?) and eat some food. My brother calls me and asks what I'm doing and since he lives near the place I was at he decided to meet for a drink or 3. As it turns out it was my brother's girlfriend's birthday yesterday so ended up putting back a few pitchers amongst the four of us. Anyways, I get a text message from this guy I'm really into (more on that later) and my brother's GF, who at this point is more than a little buzzed, grabs for my phone saying "oh whoooooooos that....your lovah?". Me: "Naw, naw, it's just a friend" meanwhile I can feel myself blushing and I'm certain I had a huge grin on my face. My buddy is just sitting there being very quiet not wanting to say anything. Coincidentally this occurred right after they had asked me if I was sleeping with my roommate who apparently dropped several strong hints at a party my brother had a few month's back. Not sure what the fuck that's all about...

Maybe I'm just being presumptuous and it's all in my head but the mood definitely shifted after that. It would also be fitting if that's how I came out to them because I'm long since abandoned the whole serious "we need to talk" song and dance. Of all my friends I only told 4 that I was gay and word just seemed to filter down.

Funny though how people I though knew didn't and therefore get confused when I make a comment like "oh man, I'd totally fuck that guy". This happened a few weeks ago with one of my newer friends. Although I never said, "I think you should know I'm gay" I was certain he already knew so when I made a comment (forget exactly what it was) the look on his face immediately changed and he asked "are you gay"? Not in a negative way or anything, but he seemed genuinely surprised, which in turn surprised the hell out of me.

2 comments:

about a boy said...

thats about the same way i came out to one of my brothers too!

Anonymous said...

Thats how I think I am going to end up coming out to my friends. All by accident. They are very nosy and they would do such a thing like grab my phone and see what I have been up to.