Sunday, January 28, 2007

"CHILDREN OF MEN"

Really good films have this intense intangible effect on me where it totally overwhelms my senses and provokes a deep visceral reaction that stays with me for days. The "Children of Men” is such a film. Set 20 years in the future where the last child on earth to be born is killed at age 18, a mysterious infertility disease is threatening human existence while war and ecological catastrophe has plunged the world into a certain death spiral. Heavy Fucking Shit. I usually avoid science fiction like Karaoke Night at a gay bar but this film transcends that and most other genres that may be applied to it. Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, (who also directed one of my favorite films, “Y tu mamá también”) who adapted the script from author P.D. James’s novel of the same name, the film explores environmental, immigration and religious themes and illustrates the potential horrific consequences of insulating our society from the larger world and the possibilities of unchecked military control of the world’s population. This film fucking blew my mind…easily the best film of 2006 in my humble opinion.

1 comment:

Will said...

Cuaron also directed the 3rd Harry Potter movie,"Prisoner of Azkahban", which i wasn't a huge fan (by no fault of the director), but I loved "Y Mama Tu Tambien". I'd forgotten about Children of Men, but will have to check it out. Thanks for the reminder.

-Will